[cups.general] cannot invoke a interface script

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Mon Aug 1 03:40:40 PDT 2005

Hello,

On Aug 1 11:25 Martin Kammerlander wrote (shortened):
> lpadmin -p test -i /usr/lib/cups/filter/print_to_file
> But when I try to send print job from the As400 then the interface is never
> invoked...and therefore the data cannot be stored. The problem is that nobody
> knows how the As400 sends the printjobs...but we suppose that it is the "lpr"
> command.

If the As400 sends the print jobs via "lpr", I assume you use the cups-lpd
on the server to receive the jobs.

> The data which comes from the As400 has no specific format...
> So why the interface is not invoked by data which comes from the As400?
> Is this maybe because the data is in the raw format? I read somewhere that data
> which is in the raw format immediately is send to the printer without any call
> of a filter or an interface...is this right?

Yes.
Raw means "really raw".

See "man cups-lpd" how to enable or disable raw printing and how to
enable or disable auto-detection of the print file type if a PPD
is used.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5      Mail: jsmeix at suse.de