printer disable

Mangoo anonymous at easysw.com
Tue Aug 2 01:19:52 PDT 2005

> Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > If the printer is a USB printer there will be a hotplug script in your
> > distro which sets the permissions of the printer's USB device file
> > (/dev/usb/lp0, /dev/usb/lp1, ...). You could let this script also run an
> > "enable" command to activate the queue.
>
> the printer is a network printer and some time come powered off, when the user print on it after 300 seconds cups disabel it.
>
> Is possible put a timeout unlimited? or enable it when come up?

Yeah, I'm having an exactly the same problem - some of the printers get disabled and won't print after some time (I guess they were disconnected).

To enable them, I have to manually do:

# /usr/bin/enable PRINTERNAME

Which is a bit annoying, as often users just can't print until I do it.

Can I set up CUPS so that it could try to enable the printer automatically if it happens to be "disabled"?