Netgear WGPS606 Printer Configuration Mini HowTo

Nathan Jones nconantj at frontiernet.net
Sat Aug 6 12:56:54 PDT 2005

I've tried to get this Mini HowTo publicly available via the Articles and FAQ's page, but can't seem to figure out how, so I'm posting it here.

Title: Netgear WGPS606 Printer Configuration Mini HowTo

Abstract: In this Mini HowTo I describe the process of setting up a printer on the Netgear WGPS606 Wireless Print Server with 4 port switch.

Body:
I had a terrible time getting my HP1200 configured on the Netgear WGPS606 as a linux only user.  These are the simple steps on how to go about configuring it.

<ol>
<li>Follow the manual's instructions for setting up the print server on the network via the web interface (server defaults: ip "192.168.0.102", netmask "255.255.255.0", uname "admin", password "password").<br>Note: You are advised to set a static IP address, otherwise the print server may receive a different address after a power outage.</li>
<li>Before proceeding, check your print server's firmware version.  You can find this on the status page of the web interface.  If the version is V1.0_020 or later, then proceed with setup.  If it is not, then go to http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102696.asp and follow the directions to upgrade the firmware to V1.0_020 (latest as of August 6, 2005).
<li>Now that it's on the network and has firmware V1.0_020 or later:
<ol>
<li>Unplug its power.</li>
<li>Plug your printer into it.</li>
<li>Turn on your printer.</li>
<li>Plug it back in.</li>
</ol>
</li>
<li>Now, in a graphical browser.
<ol>
<li>Go to http://localhost:631</li>
<li>Click "Administration" in the header.</li>
<li>Authenticate with user: root, password: root's password</li>
<li>Click "Add Printer" in the Printers section.</li>
<li>Fill in at least "Name" and click "Continue"</li>
<li>In the Device Dropdown box, select "LPD/LPR Host or Printer" and click "Continue"</li>
<li>Select your printer's make and click "Continue"</li>
<li>Select your printer's model and click "Continue"</li>
</ol>
</li>
<li>And your done, go ahead and send a test page.</li>
</ol>
*NOTE: You can still set up the printer with pre V1.0_020 firmware, but you will have to do "Start Printer" after every job, and expect PCL errors, half completed jobs or jobs that spool but never print.*