[cups.general] Deskjet 500 won't print properly

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 16 17:51:58 PDT 2005

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> When I print a text file on my Deskjet 500 using CUPS in Linux the text
> comes out very light - not really acceptable for a business letter.
> I use /usr/bin/lp or /usr/bin/lp-cups.
>
> The same printer prints perfectly and dark in Windows 98SE and a little
> less dark in draft mode but still much better than under Linux.  I use
> the plain old 'type >lpt1' command to print.
>
> I'm running KDE 3.3.2 under Slackware 10.1.
> What CUPS settings can I change in Linux to print darker?
>
> Larry

There is some new information and I have not received any responses
so I'll try again.

Went to localhost:631
chose Printers > Configure Printers and did not make any changes.

However I made the error of hitting the Continue button in the Extra
section thinking that would lead to more choices.  Instead it wrote to
the ppd/DeskJet.ppd file which is now quite different than the one I had
before.  Since I had the old one in another partition I could compare.

First I tried printing a test page and it came out beautiful - sharp and
clear and black as could be.

With high hopes I printed out the testfile I had been using but it
printed light just like it has been doing.  No difference using the
Draft button or not on the DesjJet.

To print the testfile I used
lp testfile
but I wonder if there is a different way to print directly with cups?
My /usr/bin/lp is soft linked to /usr/bin/lp-cups.

Is there another way to tell cups to print with the quality I can see it
has from the test page?

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX