CUPS, OCE 3155, PostScript and PCL5

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Aug 18 04:04:23 PDT 2005

Rafal Krypa writes:
> It all turned out to be more clear when I saw the printers configuration report - in the "License list" one can read "PostScript 3 upgrade: no license".
> I don't know what license the damn printer wants to be able to process PostScript jobs, but the only licensed and configured interpreter in that configuration report is PCL5.

We have some Oce 31x5s, too, and don't have the PS3 upgrade either. The 'License list' on our configuration sheets looks like:

License list

PCL5                       : configured
PSL2                       : configured
PostScript 3 upgrade       : no license

Presumably your entry for PSL2 (which I presume to be that for PostScript 2) says "no license"? (You don't say so explicitly.)

Later, under 'Settings' : ' PostScript defaults', some other configuration details are given, including the PostScript interpreter version.

I've no expertise in setting up non-PostScript printers with CUPS; I hope that someone else can help you. I'm just in the middle of trying to drive our Oce 31x5s with the CUPS IPP driver - and am waiting for advice from Oce in order to be able to do this.

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York
UK