How CUPS get status of a job ?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Aug 18 04:06:59 PDT 2005

huy at cse-tech.net wrote:

> I am realy interested how CUPS get information of a job sent to my HP printer ?
>
> on my print server CUPS sometime reports that a job has been completed however it is actualy not printed on the paper (may be just in buffer of printer or spooled on local hard disk)
>
> As I know CUPS use Print Job Language (PJL) to sent a request to a printer and get back information from it ? But how it works and where is configuration file that specify printer command ?

Not all printers support PJL, and some of those pretending to support it only
support part of the PJL commands. Especially the PJL status query commands require
a reliable backchannel handling.
I guess CUPS 1.2 will provide improvements on this issue. In the meantime your only
chance is do wrap the original backend by a script that does what you need.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung