BrowseRelay - clients lose printers information if relay host is down

angelb at bugarin.us angelb at bugarin.us
Fri Aug 19 08:38:06 PDT 2005

Hi all.

I've been testing BrowseRelay recently and found it to be good at
what it's designed for.  Until recently, the relay host came down and
the clients on the same subnet were no longer able to print.

host# lpr -phplj4 cupsd.conf
lpr: error - no default destination available.

I don't understand. I thought clients maintains printer informations
in-memory and lose it only when the client iself goes down.
Apparently, the clients also lose their printer information when the
relay host goes down.

Is there a setting for the client system so that printer informations
is kept in-memory for a longer period of time?

Thanks!
Angel