cups web interface hangs after model/driver

dmvianna at usp.br dmvianna at usp.br
Sun Aug 21 23:04:45 PDT 2005

I am trying to add a new printer. Everything works soundly until I press "continue" in the model/driver web page. Then a process eats up almost all of my CPU, and stays there until I kill it (admin.cgi). The web page goes blank, the bottom line in firefox says "transferring data from localhost".

I was able to configure the printer manually, through the printers.conf file. I can print raw, (using gimp-print 4.2.7 and the Epson Stylus C40sx driver), but I still get the web interface hanging on administrative tasks. It seems it can't write, even after I authenticated myself as root. Also, I can't print but raw data. :(

My printers.conf:

<DefaultPrinter EPSON>
Info Epson Stylus C40sx
Location moon
DeviceURI smb://me:@server/epson
State Idle
StateMessage Printer is idle.
Accepting Yes
</Printer>

It prints perfectly from Gimp, after choosing the right printer model. But the other programs need CUPS working with PS.

Any hints?