can CUPS listen on a given interface (not IP)?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Mon Aug 22 10:35:27 PDT 2005

> > So, to be short: how to configure CUPS server to listen on lo and eth1, but *NOT* listen on eth0?
>
> Right now there is no way to do this.
>
> I'm not sure how we'd implement this in the general case, since we'd
> need to rebind the listen socket whenever the IP address of an
> interface changed...

well, we could make the server to check the interface and the IP it has, when it starts:

Listen eth1

CUPS starts -> looks at eth1 -> eth1 has IP 10.1.1.1 -> bind to 10.1.1.1

it would be the first, easy step.
If the IP changes, some 3rd party tool would restart CUPS (via cron).

> You can file a RFE at:
>
>      http://www.cups.org/str.php
>
> so that your request is "in the system".  Perhaps we can come up with
> a long-term solution...

OK, I'll file it there.