BrowseRelay - clients lose printers information if relay host

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Aug 22 14:03:43 PDT 2005

angelb at bugarin.us wrote:
> Please consider the following configuration.
>
>    ---   ---
>    |A|   |B|
>    ---   ---
>     |     |
>     +-----+---+---
>             ----
>             |R |  router
>             ----
>     ---+--+---+------+-----+----+---
>        |  |          |     |    |
>      --- ---        ---   ---  ---
>      |c| |d|        |x1|  |x2| |xn|
>      --- ---        ----  ---- ----
>

> A - CUPS server
> B - CUPS server
> c - Client configured to poll servers A and B; browseaddress
> d - Client configured to poll servers A and B; browseaddress
> x1 thru xn - clients configured to listen for updates on 631
>
> NOTE:  The configuration of c, d, x1 thru xn repeated for every segment in our network.  Where n could be 10 to 30 clients.
>

> Would the above be considered a best practice configuration?

It should be sufficiently redundant.

> With 500 printers defined and around 10,000 print jobs per day,
 > what CPU and network load would you expect to observe on the CUPS
 > server, the polling client, and the non-polling client? (Assuming
 > a 2GHz x86 machines with 4GB of RAM)

The polling and non-polling clients should have a very low CPU and
memory load, at least from the cupsd standpoint.

The CUPS servers may have a high or low load, depending on the
frequency of the polling, the number of polling clients, the
number of simultaneous jobs, and the amount of processing that
needs to be done per printer/job.  PostScript jobs sent to
PostScript printers require the least amount of filtering, and
if the bulk of your printers are like that then the CPU load on
the servers should be fairly low (<0.5).

If the available printers do not change quickly, use a BrowseTimeout
of 3600 (1 hour) and a BrowseInterval of 900 (15 minutes) to keep
the polling overhead "in the noise" compared to the server loads
for printing.