Odd page size default

Toby Blake tobyblakeuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 03:58:32 PDT 2005

Hi there,

I'm experiencing a slightly odd problem in relation to page sizes in CUPS.   I'm using my own ppd file, with the DefaultPageSize and DefaultPageRegion both set to A4.  Next, I install a printer using lpadmin, pointing it at my ppd using -m, then looking at the CUPS web interface for this printer, I see that it has its default page size set to Letter.  I can see that this has changed from the original ppd by doing a diff of the two files:

rodrigues:~ toby$ diff /usr/share/cups/model/hp4300_duplex_tray3_a4.ppd /etc/cups/ppd/bp7.ppd
1169c1169
< *DefaultPageSize: A4
---
> *DefaultPageSize: Letter
1257c1257
< *DefaultPageRegion: A4
---
> *DefaultPageRegion: Letter
rodrigues:~ toby$

The default paper size for all printers in Printer Setup Utility is set to A4, so I've no idea why CUPS is changing it to Letter - is there something else I need to change?

Anyone seen this kind of thing and know what I can do about it?

Thanks in advance
Toby Blake
University of Edinburgh