Odd page size default

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Aug 25 07:23:34 PDT 2005

Toby Blake wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>> CUPS sets the initial default page size based upon the locale - more
>> than likely either the locale is not properly set or the scheduler is
>> not picking up the currently configured language.  What locale is
>> set?
>

> Errr, I feel a bit foolish, but I have absolutely no idea - you can set
> a region in the International System Preferences pane, which is set to
> UK, also you can set your time zone in the Date/Time pane, but nothing
> specifically mentioning locale seems to appear anywhere.  How does CUPS
> find out what locale is set?

Right now it uses the DefaultLanguage setting in the cupsd.conf file,
which defaults to the (equivalent) of "printenv LC_ALL" (if LC_ALL
is defined) or "printenv LANG" (otherwise).

I suspect we should be using the CUPS language API to get the default,
since it will do the "right thing" to get the default locale on
MacOS X, but I'm not sure how that works when run in the background
(the Internationalization settings are per-user...)