Duplex does not work ??

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Aug 25 14:03:02 PDT 2005

I would like to switch to using CUPS on Linux (currently using a Unix print server).  However, I am currently in the testing phase, and cannot get the duplexing feature of any of my printers to work.

In addition, when I am trying to print duplex, the default duplex test file is not drawn correctly.  The first page should have a bunch of "1"s in the shape of a 1, and the second should have a bunch of "2"s in the shape of a 2.  However, each line is shifted slightly to the right of the one above it.  This does not happen on all ps files (for instance, when I have mozilla open and print to a ps file, the ps file then prints correctly, just not duplexed).

The shifting and inability to duplex happens whether or not I have the printer set up as a raw print queue or a postscript printer.

Also, it'd be great if someone could tell me how to edit the cupsd.conf file so that (specific) computers other than the server can also have administrative web access.

Included below is my CUPS background info, the output of lpoptions, the cupsd.conf file, the list of printers/ppd info, and my ghostscript info.

CUPS background:

RHEL 3 update 4 ; kernel 2.4.21-27.EL
Cups 1.1.23 downloaded from cups.org, compiled with install script
Printer installation:  web interface
Installation worked fine
Queue type: lpd
deviceURI: socket://*.*.*.*:9100
For each printer, we have a duplex and non-duplex queue

Output of lpoptions:

lpoptions -p printername(duplex)
job-sheets=none,none page-bottom=36 cpi=12 lpi=7 scaling=100 page-right=36 page-left=36 wrap=true page-top=36 sides=two-sided-long-edge

lpoptions -p printername(nonduplex)
job-sheets=none,none page-bottom=36 cpi=12 lpi=7 scaling=100 page-right=36 page-left=36 wrap=true page-top=36

lpoptions -p printername(duplex) -l
Duplex/Double-Sided Printing: *DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble None
InputSlot/Media Source: *Default Tray1 Tray2 Tray3 Manual Auto
PageSize/Page Size: *Letter A4 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5 EnvMonarch Executive Legal
PageRegion/PageRegion: Letter A4 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5 EnvMonarch Executive Legal
Resolution/Resolution: *default 150x150dpi 300x300dpi 600x600dpi 1200x1200dpi
PreFilter/GhostScript pre-filtering: EmbedFonts Level1 Level2 *No

lpoptions -p printername(nonduplex) -l
Duplex/Double-Sided Printing: DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble *None
InputSlot/Media Source: *Default Tray1 Tray2 Tray3 Manual Auto
PageSize/Page Size: *Letter A4 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5 EnvMonarch Executive Legal
PageRegion/PageRegion: Letter A4 11x17 A3 A5 B5 Env10 EnvC5 EnvDL EnvISOB5 EnvMonarch Executive Legal
Resolution/Resolution: *default 150x150dpi 300x300dpi 600x600dpi 1200x1200dpi
PreFilter/GhostScript pre-filtering: EmbedFonts Level1 Level2 *No

cupsd.conf:

ServerName *********

Classification none
                                                                                                                                                                DefaultCharset UTF-8
                                                                                DefaultLanguage en
                                                                                Printcap /etc/printcap
PrintcapFormat BSD

                                                                                RemoteRoot remroot
                                                                                SystemGroup sys
                                                                                ServerCertificate /etc/cups/ssl/server.crt
                                                                                ServerKey /etc/cups/ssl/server.key

<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
Encryption IfRequested
Satisfy All
Order deny,allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From *.*.*.* (testcomputer)
</Location>
<Location /printers/****>
Encryption IfRequested
Satisfy All
Order deny,allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From *.*.*.* (printserver)
Allow From *.*.*.* (testcomputer)
</Location>
<Location /printers/****dup>
Encryption IfRequested
Satisfy All
Order deny,allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From *.*.*.* (printserver)
Allow From *.*.*.* (testcomputer)
</Location>

HostnameLookups On
                                                                                KeepAlive On
                                                                                KeepAliveTimeout 60
                                                                                MaxClients 100
                                                                                MaxRequestSize 0m
                                                                                Timeout 300
                                                                                Listen 127.0.0.1:631

AccessLog /var/log/cups/access_log
                                                                                ErrorLog /var/log/cups/error_log
PageLog /var/log/cups/page_log
                                                                                MaxLogSize 0m
                                                                                LogLevel debug

PreserveJobHistory On
PreserveJobFiles Off
AutoPurgeJobs No
MaxJobs 0
MaxJobsPerPrinter 0
MaxJobsPerUser 0

RunAsUser No
User lp
Group sys
RIPCache 8m
FilterLimit 0
DataDir /usr/share/cups
DocumentRoot /usr/share/cups/doc
RequestRoot /var/spool/cups
ServerBin /usr/lib/cups
ServerRoot /etc/cups
TempDir /var/spool/cups/tmp

Browsing Off
BrowseProtocols CUPS
BrowsePort 631
BrowseInterval 30
BrowseTimeout 300
BrowseAddress ***.255
BrowseOrder deny,allow
BrowseDeny all
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseAllow *.*.*.* (testcomputer)
ImplicitClasses On
ImplicitAnyClasses Off
HideImplicitMembers Yes
BrowseShortNames Yes

Printer List/PPD Info:

(all ppds obtained from linuxprinting.org)

Lexmark Optra T616  (PCL 6 emulation, PS 3 emulation)
HP LaserJet 4300
   (hp PCL 6, hp PCL 5e, hp PostScript® 3 emulation, HP-GL/2)
HP LaserJet 5500
   (HP PCL 5c, HP PCL 6, PostScript® 3 emulation)

each ppd includes
cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"

Ghostscript Info:

I also downloaded foomatic-rip and foomatic-gswrapper
and added a symbolic link to foomatic-rip in /usr/lib/cups/filter/

Ghostscript 7.05
gs -h
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 PDF
Available devices:
x11 x11alpha x11cmyk x11gray2 x11gray4 x11mono bmpmono bmpgray bmpsep1
bmpsep8 bmp16 bmp256 bmp16m bmp32b deskjet djet500 laserjet ljetplus
ljet2p ljet3 ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d lj5mono lj5gray cdeskjet cdjcolor
cdjmono cdj550 pj pjxl pjxl300 uniprint ijs omni bj10e bj200 bjc600
bjc800 faxg3 faxg32d faxg4 pcxmono pcxgray pcx16 pcx256 pcx24b pcxcmyk
pbm pbmraw pgm pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw pnm pnmraw ppm ppmraw pkm pkmraw pksm
pksmraw tiffcrle tiffg3 tiffg32d tiffg4 tifflzw tiffpack tiff12nc
tiff24nc psmono psgray psrgb bit bitrgb bitcmyk pngmono pnggray png16
png256 png16m jpeg jpeggray pdfwrite pswrite epswrite pxlmono pxlcolor
bbox dmprt cdj880 ap3250 appledmp atx23 atx24 atx38 bmpa16 bmpa16m
bmpa256 bmpa32b bmpamono bmpasep1 bmpasep8 ccr cdj1600 cdj500 cdj670
cdj850 cdj890 cdj970 cfax cgm24 cgm8 cgmmono cljet5pr coslw2p coslwxl
cp50 declj250 dfaxlow dfaxhigh djet500c dl2100 dnj650c eps9high eps9mid
epson epsonc escp fs600 hl1250 hl7x0 ibmpro imagen inferno iwhi iwlo iwlq jetp3852 la50 la70 la75 la75plus lbp8 lj250 lj3100sw lj4dith ln03 lp2563 lp8000 lq850 lxm5700m m8510 mgr4 mgr8 mgrgray2 mgrgray4 mgrgray8 mgrmono miff24 necp6 oce9050 oki182 okiibm paintjet photoex pjetxl plan9bm sgirgb r4081 sj48 st800 stcolor sunhmono t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8 tek4696 xes x11cmyk2 x11cmyk4 x11cmyk8 x11rg16x x11rg32x ljet4pjl lj4dithp dj505j picty180 pr201 pr150 pr1000 pr1000_4 jj100 bj10v bj10vh mag16 mag256 mj700v2c mj500c mj6000c mj8000c fmpr fmlbp ml600 lbp310 lbp320 lips2p bjc880j lips4 lips4v escpage lp2000 npdl md50Mono md50Eco md1xMono DJ630 DJ6xx DJ6xxP DJ8xx DJ9xx DJ9xxVIP AP21xx pcl3 md2k md5k stp lxm3200 lx5000 lex7000 lex5700 lex3200 lex2050 gdi epl5800 epl2050 epl2050p alc8500 alc2000 cups cljet5 cljet5c nullpage