[cups.development] Printer initialisation problem (hard to

Markus.Grunwald at pruftechnik.com Markus.Grunwald at pruftechnik.com
Wed Aug 3 05:18:23 PDT 2005

Hello,

I ported cups(1.1)/esp-gs(7.07.1) to the arm/embedded linux (customized
kernel 2.4.19-rmk6) environment. There is a strange problem with getting
our printer (Epson stylus photo 1290) via USB to work. I will explain what
I need to do to get it working:

1) load modules ( usbcore.o,  sl811.o,  printer.o)
2) start cupsd
3) configure the printer via webinterface as EPSON/EPSON New Stylus Photo
Series CUPS v1.1
4) Print something (e.g. date | lpr ). The printer will spit out many (30
or so) empty pages
5) configure the printer via webinterface as EPSON/EPSON Stylus Photo
Series CUPS v1.1
6) Printing works correctly

If I leave out steps 3 and 4, the printer will not print. Data is sent to
it however, as I can see it with my usb sniffer.
After step 5 is done, I can print as usual until I reload (rmmod, insmod)
printer.o. After that , I have to repeat steps 3-5 to get the printer
working again.

This is a big problem for me. I can't find out if it is a problem with
cups, misconfigured gs, a buggy printer.o or whatever.
The printer works fine on a "normal" suse machine...

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Markus Grunwald
Softwareentwicklung