Cups Backends - To stdin or to not stdin?

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Aug 8 07:57:04 PDT 2005

Folks,

I am currently developing a Cups backend script. It is basically a wrapper for another process, which will do all the heavy lifting.

However, I am a bit unclear about whether my script should support reading input from stdin.

There appears to be two ways in which Cups will invoke a backend. Firstly, it may provide an extra parameter which specifies the location of the file to process. Or, it doesn't provide that parameter and feeds the data via stdin. Is this correct?

So, my main question is:

  How does Cups decide which form of invokation it should use to launch the backend?

Or,

  Under what circumstances will the data be passed via stdin, rather than via a disk based file?

Thanks.