confgure ignores compiler presets

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Aug 12 10:15:45 PDT 2005

Anonymous wrote:
> maybe i am doing something by going the wrong way,
> but i better ask here since it might be a real bug.
>
> i am calling configure like this:
>
>   CXX=mipsel-linux-g++ ./configure --host=mipsel-linux-g++
>
> as a result i am getting those lines in Makedefs:
>
>   AR              =       /usr/bin/ar
>   AWK             =       gawk
>   CC              =        mipsel-linux-gcc
>   CXX             =        mipsel-linux-gcc
>   DSO             =       $(CC)
>   HTMLDOC         =
>   INSTALL         =       /usr/bin/install -c
>   LIBTOOL         =
>
> watch for the CXX which is not what i have set.
> i wonder if there is a pure commandline approach
> for getting the CXX line right. any hints?
> as i wrote - it might be a configure bug,
> but i am unsure since it can be my fault either.

The configure script is overriding the CXX definition since it is
GCC and we don't want an (unnecessary) dependency on libstdc++.

I don't know if that part of the configure script will stay for CUPS
1.2 now that the GCC C++ ABI is more stable (mainly an issue for folks
that package binaries to run on multiple Linux distros), but that is
the reason...