[cups.general] catch/save the job before it's delivered -> repeatit serveral times

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Thu Dec 1 09:38:06 PST 2005

Jerome Alet wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 12:46:21PM -0500, ekkard gerlach wrote:
>
>>I've a nice flyer that konica magicolor 2430 drivers need about 3
>>minutes to compose the binary that is sent to the printer. Printing the
>>document (kprinter) 10 times my Barton 3000 needs about 20 minutes to
>>compose the binary. How can I save binary that is sent to the printer so
>>that I can sent that file again and again to the printer? - How can I
>>sent such a binary directly to the backend ipp?
>

> You should write a backend wrapper to save the final file on disk
> just before printing.
>
> If you're lazy, you can just download
> Tea4CUPS which will do this for you in less time than you need
> to download it from http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/
>
> the you can print this file directly by giving the /usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp
> executable the proper arguments (launch it without arguments, or read
> CUPS' doc, and you'll learn which arguments it expects).
> as a probably better alternative, just print your file this way :
>
>         $ lp -o raw yourfile.prn

thx for inspirations!

My solution:
cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
cp lpd lpd.orig
 > lpd
edit lpd, insert: #!/bin/bash
                   cat - >/tmp/~print
Print the document, see:  ls /tmp/~print -l
change back: cp lpq lpd_tmp_print; cp lpd.orig lpd
lp -d minolta -o raw /tmp/~print

repeating lp -d .... command as often I need the print.
Great!!!!

Ekkard