[cups.general] Printing from read-only file system

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Dec 13 07:07:06 PST 2005

v.sudeep at exgate.tek.com wrote:

> Hello !!!
>
> I have installed the CUPS printing system on my Linux instrument. I made

What version of CUPS?

> some changes to the code to make sure that certain files such as the
> printers.conf and ppd files are all written to the /tmp directory which
> is loaded onto the RAM. ( I understand that this would need me to create
> the printer every time I reboot the instrument. I have succeeded in
> printing to both the usb printers and the network printers.
>
> I also removed the "write" permissions on all directories and files
> except the /tmp directory and its contents. And still am able to print.
>
> Now however, when I tried to apply the manual lock on the flash
> partition, though I am able to start the cupsd daemon, I am unable to do
> any other actions such as lpq, lpstat or lpadmin. All of them return
> with the error "Unable to connect to server. Connection timed out."
>
> Can anyone tell me what other files have to be moved out of the regular
> filesystem ? i.e. What are the files that are opened for "write"
> operations during i) starting the cupsd ii) during all  regular printing
> operations (such as lp, lpq and lpstat )

If you have already set ServerRoot, RequestRoot, and TempDir (sounds
like you have), then you should be OK.  If you have CUPS 1.2, make
sure you set CacheDir and StateDir to /tmp/something as well.

Are you seeing the "connection timed out" message on the device
itself, or when doing a remote connection from another computer?