CUPS 1.1.17 in RH AS3

andrej andrej at paradise.net.nz
Tue Dec 13 18:21:21 PST 2005

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding the use of
lpadmin ...

I'm trying to set-up a LOT of printers (mostly Optra T630) and
using the web-interface its quite cumbersome and time-consuming.

I'm doing something like:

lpadmin -p f116 -m optraT630.ppd -v lpd://printserver2/prn-f116

The command succeeds (I've manually added the ppd to the models
in /usr/share/cups/model/C )... however, the printer then shows up
in the webinterface as "local raw printer" even though the lpd://
part is correct.  I can then go in and modify the printer in the webinterface
and actually select the correct driver from the list of Lexmarks.

What am I doing wrong, why do I have to go back into the web-interface?

TIA!

Cheers,
Andrej