"Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?"

Keiji Watanobe watanobe at slc01.tohoku.grp.ricoh.co.jp
Wed Dec 14 02:43:18 PST 2005

> Hello, my name is Wat.
> I would really appreciate it if anybody could help me with the following problem.
>
> I am developing a printing system using CUPS.
> This system is aimed at printing images not only with Postscript
> but also our privately developed commands.
>
> In Postcript, we can print images according to the standard CUPS specifications:
> 	Postscript->pstops->pstoraster->(PPD extension filter)->Backends.
>
> So, I assume that Ghostscript has been successfully installed.
> The one we installed is ESP Ghostscript ver. 7.07.1 (2003-07-12).
>
> But our unique commands require their own rasterization process as follows:
> 	CommandA->CmmandAtoRaster->RastertoCommandB(PPD extension filter)->Backend.
>
> This process will output nothing but the following CUPS error_log:
> 	E […] Unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job 1!
> 	I […] Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?
>

> Here are 2 questions I would like to ask.
>
> As shown above, is it possible to process rasterization without using Ghostscript(pstoraster)?
>
> Does CUPS have any restrictions on the specification,
> like it requires rasterization process by Ghostscript(pstoraster)?
>

> For your reference, the settings of our commands are as follows:
>
> CommandA.types
>   application/CommandA         string(0,~^)
>   application/CommandA-raster  string(0,<0100000064000000>)
>
> CommandA.convs
>   application/CommandA  application/CommandA-raster  100  CommandAtoRaster
> ---Here, I tried various cost values.
>
> CommandA.ppd
>   *cupsFilter: "application/CommandA-raster 0 RastertoCommandB"
>
> ---Then, we tried our unique rasterization process as below.
>
> CommandA->CmmandAtoRaster->RastertoCommandB(PPD extension filter)->Backend
>

> CUPS has installed binary packages ou Debian(Sarge).
> cupsys 1.1.20final+rc1-10
> gs-esp 7.07.1-9

This is a self-reply.

This problem was solved by myself.

The problem was originated from the following setting:
CommandA.ppd
  *cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 RastertoCommandB"

The correct one is as follows:
CommandA.ppd
  *cupsFilter: "application/CommandA-raster 0 RastertoCommandB"

The error occurred from the erroneous setting. Maybe I was trying too many approaches for the development.

Thank you very much for cooperation.

Keiji Watanobe.