More on windows to Linux CUPS

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Dec 15 11:49:41 PST 2005

Hello,

My problem is simple.

I have a Windows 2000 box connected through my LAN to a Linux Debian Sarge box. A HP PhotoSmart P1100 printer is connected through USB to the Linux box.

I want to print application output (Open Office, Vim, etc.) produced on the Windows box to the PhotoSmart.

The Linux box is running CUPS version 1.1.23-10 and samba version 3.0.14s-3.

At this point:

-- I can create printer queues through http://localhost:631.

-- I can print test pages and Open Office output just fine from the Linux box through either native or ESP Ghostprint queues.

-- I can see the printer queues on the Linux box from Windows Explorer.

-- But... no matter what I try, I can't print from Windows.

I've read and re-read both CUPS and Samba documentation. They get me to a point then drop me with so many confusing alternatives and technical explanations that I can't tell whether I'm doing the right thing or not.

I've posted the problem on several other forums with, so far, ten suggested solutions -- all different; none that I could make work.

The irony is that I once had this working through sheer trial and error. Because I didn't know how I got there, I couldn't document what I'd done. Then an electrical storm took out my Linux box. I replaced the box, but have not yet, despite two solid weeks of work, been able to get the Windows side working again.

I understand that, behind-the-scenes, printer interfacing is difficult. I greatly appreciate the work that many folks have invested to solve the problems, simplify the process, and to document their methods. I know that many have made it work. But I still see many many others confronting the same problems that I have as I search Google and various forums.

So, I'm asking two things:

1) How can I get my Linux-based PhotoSmart to print stuff from the Windows box?

2) How can I help clarify documentation so that the next poor shmuck to come along doesn't have to spend two weeks beating his head against the wall?

I'd be delighted to work with documentation folks to help clarify the docs (I'm a professional writer), but I'd need someone who knows what he/she is doing to make it clear to me.

I (and I presume many others like me) need:

1. Clarification of alternative strategies

-- Better to print directly to CUPS or through Samba?
-- Better to use native drivers or postscript/Ghostscript drivers?
-- Simpler case studies (The Samba By Examples are a step in the right direction, but too much verbiage for folks under time pressure)

2. Correction/clarification of misinformation

-- Why can't I find Windows Ghostscript drivers where many sites tell me I should?

3. Detailed clarification of procedures

-- Many steps in the documentation assume that I know how to execute a technical step like compile a driver or retrieve a file from subversion. Please tell me how or, if such a step is expected, common knowledge, at least point me to a tutorial where I can learn how to do it.

4. For each strategy, a step-by-step recipe

-- preparation of Samba and Cups
-- establishment of admins and users
-- installation of drivers
-- configuration of printers on both Linux and Windows
-- steps to assure prudent security

5. Diagnostics and troubleshooting

-- following each step, a diagnostic that can determine if it was done properly
-- clear diagnostics to pinpoint exactly where in the print chain we're seeing failure and steps to fix the problem

As it stands, the main CUPS and Samba how-tos have most, if not all of this information. But recipes fade into technical explanations, get mixed up with alternatives, and leave me hanging. I feel great comfort in reading them up to a point, then I feel like I've dropped off the end of the earth.

Where can I go from here? I really am at sea.

Many thanks,

Lloyd