[cups.general] network printing troubles (101 ipp processes)

Marc Verwerft marc.js.verwerft at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 05:19:28 PST 2005

I'm looking for a bit of guidance here.

Setup:
Small network with a printer server (no X11 installed) and a client. Server
is an OpenBSD 3.8 (named silent.my.domain) with cups daemon up and running.
Attached is a lexmark Z52. Printing the testpage works from lynx on
localhost:631. The client is a mandriva 2006 machine (named dolphin). In the
browser for localhost of that machine, I see the printer, so I guess the
network setup is ok.

Problems:
1) Whenever I try to print, I don't see an entry for the job. If I do a
pstree I see 101 "ipp" processes spawned from cupsd. Example (ps ax | grep
ipp):
 5802 ?        S      0:00
ipp://silent.my.domain:631/printers/LEXMARKZ52101 me STDIN 1
scaling=100 cpi=12 lpi=7 wrap job-priority=50
job-hold-until=no-hold /var/spool/cups/d00101-001
Any other action(s) on the print system, like e.g. lpq, hang.

Any clues on what is going on?

2) When I try to configure the printer from silent.my.domain, I get (after
logging in as root) server-error-internal-error and looking in the log file
(debug level), I see nothing suspicious. Stopping and starting the printer
is not a problem.

Is this related?

Tx in advance for clues on how to figure out what's happening and fix it.