[cups.general] Re: Unable to Access Cups (localhost:631)

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Sat Dec 17 14:48:14 PST 2005

Anonymous wrote:

>>Make sure no other daemon is listining or using otherwise port 631.
>>

> I see where there is another daemon on 631.  /var/log/cups/errors.log has the following "StartListening: Unable to bind socket for address 0-0:631.  Address already in use."  Also I see where /etc/services has the following.
> ipp    631/tcp    # Internet printing protocol
> ipp    631/udp
>
> I am continuing to research this problem if you have any insight please pass it along.  Thanks for the responses.

It seems that there exist daemons which grab a random port. Check with

lsof -i :631

If you do not have an lsof package in your distro, you can get the
utility here:

ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/

Kill the daemon and then start CUPS again. When you restart that daemon
now, it will take another port.

Please report which daemon blocked your port 631.

   Till