Waiting for CUPS daemon........

Laurent Suchet laurent.s3 at free.fr
Sun Dec 18 06:39:40 PST 2005

kieran at roquebrune.co.uk a écrit :
> Hey,
>
> I have a dual boot XP/Mandriva2006 system, and recently installed CUPS for mandriva.
>
> However upon reboot, my system initialises, and loads services, and then hangs on loading CUPS. I get the message "waiting for CUPS daemon" and then the system just hangs and draws loads of dots.
>
> Help!
>
> There are no printers attached to the pc, but my pc is attached to a network.
>
> Is it something i'm doing wrong? I can't actually get into linux at the moment.
>
> Thanks. =)

In Mandriva there is a problem in cupsd.conf file.

Launch your Linux with non-fb or safe (with standard configuration
install there is 3 linux in lilo, use the second one that loads only
kernel and no extra services.).

Then in console mode su to root and launch:

vi /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

then search a line where there is cups.sock or a thing like this. Erase
the two line of this section and replace with:

Port 631 (socket listening is not correct in Mandriva).

You should obtain:

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Port 631

Save and reboot in normal mode.

When installing my cups 1.2 it was impossible to print, and this
modification resolved the problem.