CUPS SMP support?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Dec 20 08:50:46 PST 2005

oh at ceus-it.com wrote:
> Hi, is CUPS able to run in SMP Mode? We have more than 1100 Printer
> Queues handled by CUPS on one Server. For High Availability we are
> using "heartbeat" with "drbd". But when the Print Queues are filling
> up overnight, because some printers are powered off or stuck in paper
> jam, the CPU Load grows to 100% and CUPS turn to work very, very
> slow. I tried to define Queues on a SMP maschine , but i recognized
> that CUPS is using only one CPU for processing!? Has somebody an idea
> how to distribute this heavy load but keep my high availablity?

I'm not sure exactly how you have things configured, however the
main "scheduler" process (cupsd) runs in a single thread (on a single
CPU) so only the printing filters/backends will run on separate CPUs.
"Stuck" jobs should never cause high CPU usage.

We might be able to offer better advice if you included configuration
details such as the version of CUPS you are using and the operating
system!

FWIW, CUPS provides high-availability and load-balancing via the
printer browsing and implicit class stuff, which is often a superior
solution to traditional HA "cluster" setups.