How to add vendor cups.ppd to RH printer config list?

jared_middleton at alliedtelesyn.com jared_middleton at alliedtelesyn.com
Tue Dec 20 18:18:46 PST 2005

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
Using CUPS (previously LPRng)

Using command line printer config commands:
  printconf-tui
  system-config-printer

  Both display:
    Initializing alchemist edit environment ...
    Initializing linux printing database ...

The tool lets you add, change, and delete print queues via a canned list of printer make, model and driver choices.  I believe this data comes from the "foomatic" database?

We have a couple Toshiba printers (e-Studio 350 and e-Studio 3511) not in the predefined list.  I've downloaded what I believe are the correct PPD files from the vendor web site:
  TOSHIBA_EST450_CUPS.gz
  TOSHIBA_EST4511_CUPS.gz

I believe, ultimately, I want to end up with a file named after each defined print queue in /etc/cups/ppd.

I don't know if this was required or not, but I copied the vendor provided gzipped PPD files to /usr/share/cups/model (and renamed them slightly) as:
  toshiba_est450.ppd.gz
  toshiba_est4511.ppd.gz

QUESTION:
What do I do with the vendor provided PPD file so that the driver is selectable in the Red Hat printer config tool?  I want the driver to be ready and available for easily creating multiple new printers based on it.

I've seen references to something called "foomatic-ppdload". Is this something I need to use?  If so, where to get it?

Any guidance or pointers is greatly appreciated!

Please reply direct as I am not subscribed to any forum.

Thanks in advance,

Jared Middleton
jared_middleton at alliedtelesyn.com