CUPS SMP support?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Dec 21 08:53:00 PST 2005

oh at ceus-it.com wrote:
> but still - when the print-queues holding over 1500 jobs the cpu load
> raise to 100%. What happens to print jobs that cannot be delivered to
> a printer? Is cupsd spending much cpu for polling printers? Maybe you
> can give me a hint how to set up cups for large configurations?

cupsd does not poll printers, and 1500 jobs alone will not cause CUPS
to use a lot of CPU.  However, if those 1500 jobs are going to 1500
different printers, you will be CPU-bound since, by default, cupsd
will try to print them all at the same time.

You can set the FilterLimit in cupsd.conf to limit the number of
simultaneous print jobs that are sent at the same time.  Figure about
100 units per PostScript printer and 200 per non-PostScript printer.