Printing to dual-boot server

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Thu Dec 29 10:20:25 PST 2005

I've got a wierd problem. I need to print over network to a dual-boot machine (WinXP/Ubuntu) from my laptop (Ubuntu). I can configure my laptop to print to WinXP machine without any problem. I can configure it to print to Linux machine without any problem. However, I cannot have them both.

To be able to print to Linux machine I have to uncomment
Code:

ServerName <your_cups_server>

in /etc/cups/client.conf

as soon as I do it i can see my network printer from my laptop but I cannot print to Windows machine. If I try to run gnome-cups-manager, I've got the following error:

** (gnome-cups-manager:9328): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1280 ** (gnome-cups-manager:9328): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1280

and a message:

The CUPS server could not be contacted.

If I comment the ServerName line in the client.conf, I cannot see my network printer if the server is booted in Linux.

It worked fine before I upgraded from Ubuntu Hoary to Breezy. Actually I did a clean install. I wonder why I can have both Windows and Linux printing configured?