[cups.development] writing new driver

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Dec 2 05:19:15 PST 2005

Parag N wrote:
> Hello,
>       I want to know that all printer drivers for same Manufacturer are
> in single .ppd file or there are driver  files for respective model for
> same manufacturer?
>      how can i write a driver for dot matrix printer? any document?

A PPD file generally describes a single printer, however you can
often use the same PPD for a group of printers that use the same
protocols/languages/interfaces.

For example, CUPS includes a PPD file (laserjet.ppd) that supports
all HP LaserJet-compatible printers that implement PCL 3, 4, or 5.
The PPD file does not provide optimal output or support all printer
features on all printers, but it does provide a general-purpose
solution when you don't have a driver specifically for your printer.

However, most/all of the PPD files on the CUPS printer driver page
(http://www.cups.org/ppd.php) are model- and language-specific, e.g.
the HP LaserJet 4000 PS (English) driver.

So, you can do it both ways.

As for developing a CUPS driver, see the CUPS Software Programmers
Manual, CUPS Book, and CUPS DDK, all accessible from the CUPS web
site:

     http://www.cups.org/