[cups.bugs] Re: [LOW] STR #1316: German umlauts are not printed

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed Dec 7 04:49:03 PST 2005

Franz Pförtsch wrote:

> Hello Michael,
>
> if have checked the new snapshot, but nothing has changed!
> any idea?
>
> regards
> Franz
> Am 22.11.2005 um 04:31 schrieb Michael Sweet:
>

> > [STR Active]
> >
> > Fixed in Subversion repository.
> >
> > This appears to be fixed by the Xpdf 3.0-based pdftops filter in
> > CUPS 1.2.
> >
> > Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1316
> > Version: 1.1.23
> > Fix Version: 1.2-current (r4846)

I haven't looked into the 1.2-current snapshot, but I noticed that the pre 3.0x versions of xpdf
and thair pdftops and obviously the CUPS filter based on that insert the embedded (subsetted) TT
fonts into the PS code using the default StandardEncoding, which does not contain the umlauts,
though the glyphs itself are properly copied.

The 3.01 pdftops (I recently trashed the 3.00 based one) at least uses the cxx glyph naming and
specifies the complete cxx encoding vector.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung