Boca filter and driver working on Suze Linux, some problems andquestionson Mac OS X

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Dec 9 18:59:03 PST 2005

Johan Henselmans wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> Johan Henselmans wrote:
>>> I have built a boca driver and filter for the boca labelprinters.
>>>
>>> After some hairpulling I finally found out how the cups raster was
>>> built, so I could do some magic bit swapping to get the bits on all
>>> the right places.
>>>
>>> In the testing, most of it worked from a Linux Suze distribution.
>>>
>>> One problem there: The printer is a USB printer and some artefacts
>>> seem to remain on the top of the page. Might that be an unclean
>>> buffer? How should I proceed to get these artefacts removed?
>>
>> How are you reading the raster data?
>
>  From pstoraster.

No, I meant "are you using cupsRasterOpen(), cupsRasterReadHeader(),
and cupsRasterReadPixels() to read the raster data?"

 > I get, because of the driver definitions a raw bw
> bitmap. I read the 8 lines at a time. I had some discussions with the
> boca guys. They thought that perhaps the artefacts were caused by
> wraparounds to the next 'page', and were remnants of a buffer that came
> out dirty after filling the output line. The height of the page is not a
> multitude of 8, see.

You do know that pstoraster does not just output a bitmap - there is
a header at the top of the page, and starting with CUPS 1.2 the header
is different and the data is compressed.  The functions are provided
so you can read the raster data no matter what version of CUPS is
installed...