CUPS Raster API for scripting language

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Dec 15 19:12:54 PST 2005

anonymous wrote:
> I want to write a rastertoprinter driver. Is there a CUPS raster API for
> scripting language, like perl or python?

No, nor would it make a whole lot of sense, as any non-trivial
printer driver requires more speed than perl or python can provide
(a typical printer will need to process ~44 million pixels for a
single page)

> It's kind of hard to make RPM for all Linux distributions.

Actually, not really.  The CUPS ABI is quite stable, particularly
for the raster API.  In the worst case, just compile static binaries
(but we don't recommend that - you lose out on security fixes and
support for new raster formats that comes for free with the shared
libraries)