[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #1361: LPD against a downed printer doesnt restart.

Daniel Hedblom daniel at solle.se
Fri Dec 16 05:19:41 PST 2005

[STR New]

When you print with cups on a LPD que, for eg. a network enabled printer
with LPD support you hit the wall the first time that printer doesnt
answer. After a while the printer is disabled in cups and doesnt ever come
back. This is a major drawback in using cups in larger installations. You
have to manually enable the printer to get it online again. Not fun if you
like me manage many printers in different locations.

The solution would (IMHO) be that cups reenables the printer after a while
by itself, lets say 20 mins. I have a crontab line in my Linux boxes that
does this "cupsenable printername" but it really should be in cups. This
way whenever a LPD que dies it reenables the printing when it comes back
online again. Works perfectly but imagine a normal user at home or just an
ordinary admin doing that. It has been a major area of complaints here
until i found out that it was cups that didnt retry the printer but just
left it dead forever.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1361
Version: 1.1.22