[cups.general] mime.types - what am I missing

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Feb 2 05:35:18 PST 2005

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>>The MIME types are sorted alphabetically...
>

> What is the reason to sort them alphabetically?

a) For faster lookups, and
b) For consistency

Since we load all .types files, which may appear in any order,
we cannot rely on the order of definition, so the next best
thing is to sort so that the order is defined by another means.

> This forces to use strange prefixes for MIME type names like
> to establish a intended test-sequence.

Normally it is not an issue, since file types are supposed to be
unique.  You only run into ordering issues when you want to overload
an existing type...