Performance with large printer database

Patrick Spinler pspinler at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 08:04:15 PST 2005

Angel:

Here's my info:

   pjs11 at stump05 pjs11 $ uname -a
   Linux stump05.mayo.edu 2.4.21-20.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Aug 18 20:46:40 EDT
2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
   pjs11 at stump05 pjs11 $ rpm -qa | grep release
   redhat-release-3ES-7.3
   pjs11 at stump05 pjs11 $ cat /etc/redhat-release
   Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 3)

   pjs11 at stump05 pjs11 $ cat /proc/meminfo
           total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
   Mem:  3916861440 1443561472 2473299968        0 303226880 716836864
   Swap: 2147475456        0 2147475456

It's 2 3Ghz xeons, btw.  I'd show my /proc/cpu, but that gets a bit long.

   pjs11 at stump05 pjs11 $ rpm -qi cups
   Name        : cups        Relocations: (not relocatable)
   Version     : 1.1.23      Vendor: Easy Software Products
   Release     : 1           Build Date: Fri 07 Jan 2005 05:54:05 PM CST

I compiled these rpms from source.

And just to show you that I'm not smoking anything:

   pjs11 at stump05 pjs11 $ time lpstat -a | wc
    5349   37443  250867

   real    0m3.688s
   user    0m2.050s
   sys     0m0.430s

Oh, and it doesn't appear to be terribly CPU dependant -- here's the
same command from another of the print servers I'm trying to cluster.
this print server is only a 1.2Ghz PIII, although all the software is
identical:

   pjs11 at stump01 pjs11 $ time lpstat -a | wc
    5349   37443  250867

   real    0m6.166s
   user    0m5.030s
   sys     0m0.030s

Now, if I can just get the clients to work ....
-- Pat