Samba/CUPS on server driving a LaserJet 1010

Francis GALIEGUE fg6 at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 3 04:41:32 PST 2005

Hello,

I've a problem which I cannot quite fathom, and yes, it's somewhat related to the "Unknown personality: PCL" problem. Somewhat.

The printer is configured using CUPS, and Samba is driving the lot. I've set up the print$ share correctly, uploaded the printer driver and voilĂ , works perfectly with Windows now.

However, I wanted also to make it work under Linux, so I figured that if I just set up the Linux box to use the printer via SMB I'd be safe. I used printerdrake from mdk10.1 and it accordingly set up the printer as raw, but no...

Well, it does print until I get that Unknown personality headache. Looking at errors_log I see that the chain used differs depending on my using XP or Linux as a client:

* XP uses backend/usb;
* Linux uses filter/xxxtops, filter/ps2ps, filter/foomatic-rip and then backend/usb!

Why is that? It's just as if the Windows drivers were not used at all! I've tried to smbprint directly from the command line but the filter chain (and eventual problem) remains the same...