Self-stopping printers, psnup-ed documents

Vlastimil Holer xholer at fi.muni.cz
Fri Feb 4 08:36:26 PST 2005

Hello,

we have Linux CUPS server (1.1.23) with 32 printers queues. We have 200 Windows and Linux users printing using IPP and LPD (cups-lpd) protocols. Sometimes we find one or two printers stopped without beeing explicitly stopped by administrators. Does anybody has similar problems or any suggestion?

The second - I think that CUPS is printing Postscript documents to Postscript printers directly, i.e. without any interpretation like converting anything to PCL. This means that what I send to CUPS is printed to printer without changes. We have problems with Postscript printers from HP and printing Postscript documents converted with psnup or psbook in duplex mode along narrow page. This documents are correctly printed after transformation with ps2ps or ps2pdf && pdf2ps or something like that.

We would be very glad for any advice, because we saw in CUPS benefits against LPRng. But now we have problems.

Thank you,
Vlastimil Holer