Popup to change owner of printjob

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Mon Feb 7 07:37:12 PST 2005

Don't know if this is the right place, but I'll try.

I'm working with an accounting system / pay-before-print based on Windows, but where you can easily print using a shared Windows queue from Linux. However, we need to support anonymous terminals, and on Windows there is a port monitor installed with a popup allowing the user to enter a username which will then be passed on as the owner, so the accounting system will know who should be allowed to release (and pay for) the job.

So I'm just wondering how this could be accomplished using Linux and CUPS. The client in question is using "Skolelinux", a Debian based distribution made to be easy for education sector in Norway. They are using CUPS for printing. Just need to either change owner, or add a PJL username=... or whatever.

This product we've sold is stopping them from rolling out Linux client to replace the old Windows machines, and as a supporter of Linux that doesn't feel very good... :(  So would be great to fix this, and let them finish the planned Linux rollout.

I'm not some Linux expert, but not totally lost either. Any ideas (or any directions) on how this could be solved, would be appreciated. Thanks :)