[cups.general] HELP! I'm rewriting the CUPS Manuals!

David Schlenk david-schlenk at bethel.edu
Mon Feb 7 14:36:05 PST 2005

I don't think I'd be alone in wishing there was some kind of "Learn
CUPS by example" type document, similar to the really good samba book
that you can read for free at
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

One thing that does well is acknowledge that you will need to use other
bits of software in order to accomplish many of the common desired
tasks. It would be nice if CUPS documentation did this as well, and
mentioned things like "there are a few different distributions
ghostscript, here are the advantages of each, and oh by the way most
people use X, but Apple decided to go with Y with their CUPS
distribution".  Also a blurb on foomatic and gimp-print and the role of
each in the user's quest to get their $50 inkjet printer to do
something useful.

Most people's frustration with CUPS seems to stem from a lack of step
by step examples of what you can do with it. Like you said, "CUPS
provides limitless possibilities," but for many, all that it is good
for is opening up port 631 to the world and getting their printer to
spit out raw postscript code.

You could cover examples like:

* You have a linux desktop computer and a printer that doesn't speak
PS. Here are the things that you will need to research and do in order
to get it to work.

* You have a small office with a few networked printers that some folks
(who all run windows) need to print to.

* You have a large office with a lot of printers that folks on windows,
unix and mac os need to print to, authenticated, and with (reliable)
page accounting.

* You have many large offices with many printers at each location, and
you need to be able to print from unix, windows and mac clients, and do
print accounting, and downtime is not an option (redundancy).