[cups.general] HELP! I'm rewriting the CUPS Manuals!

Erik Thiele erik at thiele-hydraulik.de
Mon Feb 7 22:46:50 PST 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:12:56 -0500
Steven Sweet <steve at easysw.com> wrote:

> I’m redoing all of the CUPS documentation for 1.2. What was the most
> important information needed to set up your printing system? What kind
> of system set-up did you have? I’m looking to write
> “friendlier” documentation. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. CUPS provides limitless possibilities. What is most
> important to you? How do you want it presented?

- please make a chapter explaining landscape vs. portrait issues

also you should add links to correct postscript files in every format
and both in landscape and portrait. and commands to print these files.
i.e. do you have to add -olandscape for the correct landscape files???

you should explain how to detect if a file is landscape or portrait and
how to find out if the -olandscape option is needed or not.

also you should make clear that there are 2 possibilities for making
landscape files. one is rotate the paper size, the other is
the %%Orientation: Landscape comment in the DSC header. since there is
lacking good documentation on making good postscript files,
many programs output wrong landscape files... in case a landscape file
is wrong, you can still print it with this and that option....

cya
erik