[cups.general] queues stop themselves

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Tue Feb 8 06:56:51 PST 2005

Bernd Schubert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have several network printers connected to a cups server. Somehow our
> group members manage to print in the evening and then forget about their
> printjobs. So they also forget to fill in new paper into the printer. Every
> this happens all queues with waiting jobs will be stopped the next day.
>
> Well, as far as I know I could go ahead and write additional cron jobs to
> automatically re-enable those queues (e.g. by directly setting the state
> in /etc/cups/printers.conf), but somehow I think the hole idea of
> self-stopping printer queues is braindead!
>
> So, is there an option to completly disable this bug/feature?

No, I don't know of any such option.

But in general, I doubt that this is a good idea. Think... what
happens, if the CUPS server is still sending jobs to such a
problematic printer? In many cases the print job gets lost and this
is no choice for a large company, e.g. getting lose of your bank
account statements or your payroll isn't fun. :)

The only good solution is to stop this printer, let an technician
interact to fix the problem and then enable the problematic queue
manually. Any try of self-enabling such a printer after a while might
cause a loss of the next print job either.

If it isn't important for your company to get lose of such print jobs,
it's up to the admin to enable the printers by an appropriate cronjob.
But be warned, don't cry afterwards, if some important print job gets
lost.

I think speaking and training your group members on unnecessary print
jobs, would be more helpful than dropping print jobs after a while.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel