[cups.general] queues stop themselves

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Tue Feb 8 09:35:27 PST 2005

Bernd Schubert wrote:
> Klaus Singvogel wrote:
[...]
> > But in general, I doubt that this is a good idea. Think... what
> > happens, if the CUPS server is still sending jobs to such a
> > problematic printer? In many cases the print job gets lost and this
> > is no choice for a large company, e.g. getting lose of your bank
> > account statements or your payroll isn't fun. :)
>
> But there are  no lost jobs, the printers just don't accept new print jobs
> until new paper is filled in. I don't know anything about the IPP protocol,
> but I guess there will be something that will tell the cups server, that
> printing the job has finished or at least accepted by the printer. There's
> absolutely no need to stop a queue. Also, filling the queues is still
> possible, cups just doesn't try to send something to the printer. I don't
> see a reason why it should stop to try sending the job to the printer.

Lets explain it in this way: there are only a few, generic backends
distributed with CUPS (one for every connection type) to process your
jobs. You are lucky and your printer isn't dropping the data, if there
is a problem at the printer. But the CUPS system can't be sure that
other printers are so nice either. So the CUPS system is designed to
be more conservative in this state and disables the printer as soon
as a problem came up.

But CUPS is OpenSource...

As it is the result that that these queues get disabled, as soon as
the backend returns here a non zero exist code. So, its up to you to
write / modify an existent backend for your necessities. Have a closer
look at the CUPS Software Design Description (sdd.pdf) and the CUPS
Software Programmers Manual (spm.pdf), when writing this backend.

Have a lot of fun... :-)

Regards,
	Klaus.
--