[cups.general] adding a samba printer of another network

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Tue Feb 8 14:30:59 PST 2005

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi,
> if I want to add a printer to cups (SMB printer) in the same network of the
> linux machine, I can use lpadmin:
> lpadmin -v smb://s93/hps93 .......
>
> but what if I want to add a printer of another network? Where can I specify
> the ip address? I've tried with something like:
> lpadmin -v smb://192.168.2.20/hps20
> and the printer is added, but it does not work then.
>
> Any help?
>
> Luca

That looks right. I use the web admin tool, so I can't comment on the
'lpadmin' bit of it, but the device URI is correct.

For smb shares, remember you may have to enter a username / password,
which makes your URI:

smb://username:password@192.168.2.20/hps20

Also check you can ping 192.168.2.20, and check that you can see the
share, with something like:

smbclient -U username -L 192.168.2.20
[enter password]

Also, is this 'other network' a domain? You may have to join the domain
before you're able to connect.

Also, next time you post, try adding some logs. It makes it easier to
figure out what the problem is.

Dan