SAMSUNG ML-1740 + FC3 x86_64 (athlon 64)

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Wed Feb 9 20:03:30 PST 2005

> On a i386 AMD 600 box with a USB Samsung ML-1740 printer, the drivers from
> Samsung and their install software (linux-config) worked great on RH9 and
> FC1.  No problems.
>
> On FC3 if the printer was off at boot time forget it.  Udev would remove
> the device driver and CUPS got its knickers in a knot, never forgave me
> unless I served penance by reloading FC3 from scratch.  Even RH says
> Fedora is unstable.  No surprise but disappointment it did not work as
> expected.   The work around was to reload FC3 and NEVER turn the printer
> off.
>
> Enter an Athlon-64.  Loading FC3 x86_64, the CUPS drivers from Samsung
> won't install since the Samsung install script looks for glibc 2.0 or 2.1.
> FC3 x86_64 uses glibc 2.3.  The Samsumg drivers don't
> install.
>
> The Samsung install has a file, ppd/C/ML-1740spl2.ppd.  Can I hand install
> this file?
>
> Any thoughts or work around suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg
> gblair _at_ sympatico _dot_ ca

I just skipped the included driver and configured cups using it's ML-1710 driver.  I tried getting cups to use the 1740 ppd file on the cd, but it didn't like the file.  A diff of the 1710 and 1740 ppd files on the cd shows the only changes are to change the model number from 1710 to 1740.   Using USB instead of parallel port. So far all seems good.

Ron