All jobs cancelled and still printing junk

Simon Liddington sjl at zepler.org
Wed Feb 9 23:00:25 PST 2005

Hi folks,

I turned my printer off to stop it spewing junk from a bad print job, cancelled the print job with lprm and turned the printer back on (at the power point). The printer starts up and carries on spewing junk. I can't stop it unless I disconnect the parallel port - so its coming from my computer, not in the printer buffer.

I have tried restarting cups - /etc/init.d/cups restart

I have tried cancel -a

I have tried deleting the contents of /var/spool/cups - yes, even after cancel -a it wasn't empty! and then restarting cups.

All to no avail.

It seems to me the parallel port buffer isn't being flushed or something like that.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm going to reboot now , but it would be nice to know for the future how to fix this without a reboot.

Thanks,
Simon Liddington