installed ppd not showing up in cups

Toby Blake toby at inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 06:15:50 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm sure this is blindingly obvious, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

I have a Xerox Phaser 4400dt that I want to set up using cups - this
comes with its own ppd file on CD that I want to use.

So, I've copied this file into /usr/share/cups/model and gzipped it.

....and done /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups reload

.... but the new driver doesn't show up in the list of drivers available
to cups.  Not under Xerox, not under Generic, nor anything else I've
looked under.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?  The logfile doesn't
report any errors, and indeed has added one to the total number of ppds
in /etc/cups/ppds.dat.

Thanks

Toby