[cups.general] no documentation on use of client.conf

marc at arctic.net marc at arctic.net
Thu Feb 10 19:21:54 PST 2005

[Crossposted to macosx-list]

On Mac OS X 10.3 we are trying to get client.conf to produce
the printers but of course, as this is just a configuration
file is totally unclear as to what will read this file.

Postings seem to indicate that this should work WITHOUT cupsd
running (though we can't imagine how), but when we try to
kill -9 pidofcupsd it comes back up with a new pid (polld also
is now present.) And, no matter what we do, without adding the
BrowsePoll of the print server in cupsd.conf, nothing comes up
for printers.

I can find no explanation of a limited client server set-up
using client.conf save the excerpt below which comes from the
SAM and states:

Specifying a Single Server for Printing

CUPS can be configured to run without a local spooler and send
all jobs to a single server. However, if that server goes down
then all printing will be disabled. Use this configuration
only as absolutely needed.

The default server is normally "localhost". To override the
default server create a file named /etc/cups/client.conf and
add a line reading:

     ServerName server

to the file. The server name can be the hostname or IP address
of the default server.