Epson stylus Photo R800

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Thu Feb 10 20:30:47 PST 2005

Laurent DEVOS wrote:
> Good evening all, I have a new epson stylus photo r800 but when i install it on the CUPS admin i cant find the driver for that printer   and neither on the web site. Could you please le me know how to get this problem resolved.
>
> Thanks

The Epsons are supported via gimp-print.
Have a look at:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_R800

You *need* the latest version of gimp-print. Uninstall any version you
have on your PC - it will already be too old - and install the latest
beta version.

As the above page notes, you can also download drivers from Epson at:
http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/dl_ink.html

Also, I'm considering buying an Epson R800 as well, mainly for printing
digital photos. It's either an R800 or a Canon IP8500. Most reviews I've
seen say the IP8500 is better, but I've found a couple that say the R800
is better. The problem with the IP8500 is that you have to use
commercial drivers to get full resolution support.

But anyway, if you could email me or post back to the list with a brief
summary of what you think of the R800 and it's quality for digital photo
prints, I'd very much appreciate it :)

Dan