Linux/CUPS to HP4110 on Win98 -- almost there

Jack Spaar jspaar at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 11 00:39:58 PST 2005

I'm *almost* printing from FC3/cups to an HP OfficeJet 4110 on a
Win98 via SMB.  Please help me get over the hump.

Print jobs show up via samba in the print queue on the '98 box.
When the job starts, the printer moves the printhead a tad and then
hangs with lcd status "Printing...".  Status light flashes green.
[Just like this guy, who has XP:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/pipermail/hp-list/2004q1/004847.html ]

>From that point on, the job can't be removed from the queue, until the
printer is reset by power off/on.

(Printing from the '98 box itself works fine, when the
printer isn't already hung.)

Since the CUPS job does get over to the Win98 queue via samba, this makes
me think samba config is right but printer setup on CUPS side is wrong.
I'm using hpijs printer driver, the .ppd has:
*NickName:      "HP OfficeJet 4110 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)"

I've looked at LogLevel=debug error logs, the problem isn't obvious to me.

Could someone kindly point me in the right direction?