[cups.general] no documentation on use

marc at arctic.net marc at arctic.net
Fri Feb 11 10:37:22 PST 2005

I am still missing a piece.  If I go to print from the gui
with a client host cupsd.conf file set up with browsepoll
pointed to the server, bingo, the printers immediately pop up
in the GUI under shared printers. As I understand you, you are
stating that the same magic should take place without the use
of a cupsd.conf file on the client host....  but this does not
seem to work.....

Is the lp* command still using the cupsd.conf file?  We did
see /usr/sbin/cupsd.conf -f start up and then spawn a couple
of polld processes.  Is this the result of the client.conf
configuration,  and if so,  then what changes do we need to
make in the cupsd.conf

The bottom line here is that we seem to be getting so much
chatter that our network becomes totally clogged and hosts
can't reach the print server.  Personally I think this is a
rendezvous  issue,  but I wanted to make sure that we were not
causing some broadcast storm via cups.

Right now we have authentication set for admin and jobs on the
print server. On the clients we have the braodpoll address of
the server.  It was working fine for half  a dozen client
hosts....  but when we rolled it out to 50 we would lose
printers intermittently to half the client hosts and apps on
the hosts (the kids use some shockwave and flash based apps)
were lagging by seconds (even after the app was downloaded to
the host.

>> Postings seem to indicate that this should work WITHOUT
cupsd
>> running (though we can't imagine how)
>
>The various lp* commands use the routine cupsServer() from
libcups to
>get the address of the cups server.  This can be a server
process running